Thank you for your interest in joining Friends Academy.
At Friends, our faculty and staff play a critical role in providing students with a rigorous curriculum, caring community, and an overall atmosphere conducive to helping each child reach their highest potential.
We have an outstanding faculty and staff and seek qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds who are committed to fulfilling the school’s mission.
Friends Academy offers generous compensation packages and a wide-ranging professional development program. Of equal importance, this is a place where our leadership, faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni respect and appreciate each individual member of our community.
middle school english Teacher [for family leave]
September 24 until December 21, 2018
Reports to: Head of Middle School
Status: Covering for Family Leave
Friends Academy seeks a passionate, positive, and innovative Middle School English teacher for a family leave position from September 24 until December 21, 2018.
Responsibilities and qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Love of literature and language and a desire to share these interests with middle schoolers
- Ability to execute the scope and sequence of the teacher on leave while also making instructional decisions.
- Implement and creatively instruct 3 Middle School English courses (Grades 7 and 8)
- Positive outlook on the world and opportunities for young people
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with colleagues to create an integrated academic program for our students
- Compose English Recommendation Letters for eighth grade students as a part of the secondary school process
- Awareness of Learning Portfolios and Student-Led Conferences
- Dedication to social-emotional learning and positive discipline practices
- Attend faculty meetings and positively contribute to discussion and dialogue
- Write individual comments for each marking period
- Additional responsibilities such as advisory and coaching may be considered if the candidate has the requisite skill set
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field as well as teaching experience
- A passion for middle school, a sense of humor, and irrepressible positivity and warmth
- Dedication to teaching and learning in a vigorous, progressive school community with a commitment to equity and inclusion.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Jamie Ross Cory.
Middle School SBP Position
2018-2019 School Year
Reports to: Head of Sally Borden Program
The Sally Borden Program at Friends Academy seeks an enthusiastic and optimistic Middle School teacher for a self-contained class of Sally Borden learners to join our team of talented, passionate faculty in August of 2018. The position involves teaching one section of math, social studies, and language arts to students who have language-based learning differences such as dyslexia. Other responsibilities include co-leading an advisory and chaperoning Outside the Classroom trips and overnights. Please visit our website to learn about our dynamic Sally Borden program.
We seek an enthusiastic, dedicated educator who believes in collaboration and a team approach to helping students find success. We value teachers who are creative and embrace inquiry and project based learning. Our new Middle School teacher should be well-versed in technology so that they are able to maximize the effectiveness of our 1:1 MacBook environment. We use a Google platform and assistive technologies to meet our students’ varied needs.
This job may be for you if you:
- Possess a bachelor degree in middle school education or related field; master’s degrees preferred
- Feel a strong alignment with Friends Academy’s Mission and Philosophy of Learning
- Have experience working with students with language-based learning differences
- Hold an Associate level of Orton-Gillingham or are willing to be trained
- Are a strong role model for middle school adolescents and understand the cognitive, social, and emotional development of this age group
- Seek fresh, creative ways to bring learning to life in a collaborative and engaging environment
- Value working as part of a team and making contributions to a shared vision of the best possible learning outcomes for students
If interested, please email cover letter, resume, and references to Laura Velazquez, Director of the Sally Borden Program.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Friends Academy admits students and hires faculty and staff of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to all students, faculty, and staff at the school. Friends Academy does not discriminate against someone (applicant or employee) because of that person’s race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Friends Academy Statement of Mission and Philosophy:
The mission of Friends Academy is to provide each student with an educational foundation that will instill the academic knowledge, skills, and understanding; responsible citizenship; respect for diversity and differences; and sense of well being needed for a lifetime of learning and personal growth.
This mission is based on the beliefs that:
- academic knowledge, skills, and understanding include the areas of English, mathematics, natural and social sciences, world languages, and the arts and the skills of reading, reasoning, computing, investigating, writing, speaking, problem-solving, and creating;
- responsible citizenship includes honesty, commitment, and respect for others, the environment, and the community;
- respect for diversity and differences involves building a community and creating programs and curriculum that are attentive to issues of learning, race, ethnicity, family configuration, sexual orientation, gender, religion, and economic status; and
- a sense of well being is nurtured through the development of self-esteem, self-confidence, and healthy social interactions.